[gui-talk] Adobe question--latest version

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Fri Mar 29 18:41:18 UTC 2013

That is interesting.  You would get there with alt e for edit, then
up arrow to preferences, hit enter, then up and down arrow to
categories.  In my Adobe, there is no protected/unprotected mode in
general, it is under extra security.

Here are some instructions for making Adobe act better with JAWS,
taken from another NFBNET.ORG list:

In order to get Adobe Reader to work properly with JAWS, you need to
make the following two changes:

1.  First, after you install Adobe Reader XI, launch it from your desktop
and access the Preferences dialog either by pressing Control-K or going to
the Edit menu and scrolling down to Preferences.  On Preferences, arrow down
the list of options to Security Enhanced, tab to the check box labeled
"Enable Protected Mode at Start-Up" and make sure that it is unchecked.
Then tab to the Okay button to save your change.
2.  Second, go to the Edit menu, scroll down to the Accessibility submenu
and open it.  Arrow down to the Set-Up Assistant and select it.  The Set-Up
Assistant consists of five screens, but you need not change anything on the
first four screens.  When you get to screen 5 of 5, tab to the check box
labeled "Open PDF Documents In the Browser" and make sure that it is
unchecked. (It may be checked by default)  Then tab to the Okay button and
finally close Adobe Reader.  These two changes will make Reader more