[gui-talk] Desperately need help to view and read .PDF documents

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Mon Mar 25 09:17:57 UTC 2013

You did try opening a pdf file after download and you did go through the
accessibility screens and save your preferences right?  If so, you may
simply be dealing with inaccessible pdf documents and when that's the
case, you need to get with the authors to get them made accessible
especially when dealing with password protected materials.  The other
thing is, you have to turn on read aloud under the accessibility menu
which is on the advanced tab too if it's not already enabled.   Once
this is done, you might try reading a file and putting jaws to sleep for
the duration.  Jaws is not capable of reading pdf files which is why
adobe provided read aloud.  Have you or anyone else done a full
accessibility check on these files before trying to read them?  If
someone else did it you may want to duplicate their work except under
full accessibility check in the advanced tab, check every possible box
in the dialog before you start the check on a file.  It's possible
whoever did the accessibility check failed on that step.  One or more
problems with reading and you have an inaccessible pdf file.  In my
entire career I have only had one instance in which a full accessibility
check had no problems with a pdf file, so what's out in the wild is
often hairy nasty and wild too.