[gui-talk] Upgrade of A t & T working with Outlook Express

Gregory D. Rosenberg gregg at ricis.com
Sat Jul 27 20:37:39 UTC 2013

Good afternoon Sherri,

It too suggest getting off of Outlook Express and on a full version of Outlook or another modern mail client. I have listed the instructions for configuring Outlook 2007 to connect to your AT&T email account. Depending on your email address you may have to tweak the names of the servers. If you get stuck I am sure I or some one on the list can help.

Side note: Windows XP Service Pack 3 is the only supported version of Windows XP and Microsoft has already scheduled that version of Windows XP to be end-of-life very soon. I would recommend Windows 7 with the latest service pack. I realize this is a non-trivial move for those among us that are not tech savvy and even tough for those of that are for the first time.

This procedure will not work if you have a free att.net email accounts created after 6/12/11.

To set up your AT&T Mail account in Outlook 2007, simply add a new email account to your existing or new Outlook profile:
	Open Outlook 2007 on your computer.
	Select the Tools menu, and then select Account Settings.
	Select the New…button.
	Select the radio button next to Microsoft Exchange, POP3, IMAP, or HTTP, and click Next.
	Select the check box next to Manually configure server settings or additional server types.
	Click Next.
	Select the radio button next to Internet E-mail.
	Click Next.
	In the User Information section:
	Under Your Name field, type your name the way that you want it to appear to other people.
	In the E-mail Address field, enter your full AT&T email address e.g., YourName at att.net. If you are setting up this account for an AT&T Email Alias, input the alias email address in this field.
	In the Server Information section:
	In the Account Type field, verify POP3 is displayed.
	In the Incoming Mail (POP3 or IMAP) Server field, enter inbound.att.net
	In the Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server field, enter outbound.att.net
	In the Logon Information section:
	In the User Name field, enter your full email address.
	In the Password: field, enter your password. If you are setting up this account for an AT&T Email Alias, input the full email address of the ID (Primary or Sub Account) associated with the email alias in this field. Do not input the email alias address in this field.
	Select the Remember password check box.
	Select More Settings.
	Select the Outgoing Server tab.
	Verify these settings:
	The check box beside My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication is selected.
	The radio button beside Use same settings as my incoming mail server is selected.
	Select the Advanced tab.
	Verify these settings:
	The Incoming mail (POP3) should be port 995 and the check box next to This server requires a secure connection (SSL) is selected.
	The Outgoing mail (SMTP) should be port 465 and the check box next to This server requires a secure connection (SSL) is selected.
	Click OK.
	Click Next.
	Click Finish.
Are you getting an error? Find out more about Common email error codes.

Source: https://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401573#fbid=lnRQzB4jCbx

On Jul 27, 2013, at 11:54 CDT, Steve Jacobson <steve.jacobson at visi.com> wrote:

> Andy,
>
> While I would not argue with your advice, it seems unlikely that AT&T is doing anything specific to support Outlook Express, unlike certain aspects of LIVE.COM and HOTMAIL.  Isn't it more likely that a port
> number has changed, or is there something that you know AT&T is doing that would specifically affect Outlook Express?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Steve Jacobson
>
> On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 14:16:32 -0700, Baracco, Andrew W wrote:
>
>> This is likely because Outlook Express is no longer being supported by
>> MS, and by many ISP's. You say that you have OFFICE 2007. This means
>> that you likely have Outlook. Why not consider switching to Outlook for
>> your Email. Most of the commands in Outlook that pertain to Email are
>> similar to OE. It's 2013, why not get with the times? Also, you need to
>> think about dumping XP, as it will not be supported for much longer.
>
>> Andy

P.S. We have moved.

P.S. Text the word BLIND to 85944 to donate $10 to the NFB Imagination Fund via your phone bill.

--
73' & 75'
Gregory D. Rosenberg AB9MZ
gregg at ricis.com

RICIS, Inc.
7849 Bristol Park Drive
Tinley Park, IL 60477-4594
http://www.ricis.com

708-267-6664 Cell
708-444-2690 Office
708-444-1115 Fax (Call First)
We are tired of SPAM faxes.

NOTICE: This e-mail message and all attachments transmitted with it are intended solely for the use of the addressee and may contain legally privileged and confidential information. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or other use of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to this message and please delete it from your computer.