[gui-talk] Updating Adobe Flash Player

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Tue Dec 10 21:13:37 UTC 2013

Gerald,

The reason we sued Target  was that because their web site was linked with physical stores, the equal access laws applied more completely.  In addition, Target had physical locations in California, and
California had tougher laws than the federal laws did at the time.  We didn't just flip a coin as you indicate, and it is not at all clear if laws cover FLASH.  What makes is more complicated is that Adobe has
guidelines for making FLASH accessible, so they say it is those who implement FLASH who bear the responsibility.  They also say that one can get the update from their website if one's screen reader doesn't
handle the update well, and I think it even turns out that NVDA handles their update dialog fairly well even though other screen readers do not.  This all makes winning a case very uncertain in my opinion even
though I share your frustration.

Unfortunately, you don't just decide to sue and win as you seem to think is the case.  To sue someone and loose can also set a precedence, so besides not wanting to waste the money, you want to sue only if
you have a pretty good chance of moving forward.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson