[gui-talk] My Book Live and Screen Readers

Peter Donahue pdonahue2 at satx.rr.com
Sun Sep 2 12:55:23 UTC 2012

Good morning everyone,

    The quest to find a Network Attached Storage system that is screen
reader-friendly goes on. We're considering several models one of which could
prove to be screen reader-friendly with JAWS. A while back someone responded
to my inquire by relating their experience with Western Digital's "My Book
Live." They said that the configuration software wasn't accessible with
screen readers. I'd like more information such as which screen reader and
version were used, does My Book Live have a Web interface that can be used
to manage the system and how well does it work with a screen reader? Does
one need to enter a code in order to execute particular tasks such as
formatting disks, changing RAID Modes, deleting shared folders, etc?Could
the code characters be detected by your screen reader? How long are the
characters displayed (Some NAS systems display this code for 60 seconds?)
How well is the company's tech and sales support? If you can share more
details concerning your  experience with My Book Live ana any other NAS
systems you may have used with a screen reader we'd like to hear your
thoughts and suggestions.
 “No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper.”
Isaiah 54:17

 “While for our princes they prepare
In caverns deep a burning snare,
He shot from heaven a piercing ray,