[gui-talk] Opening PDF files

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Sun May 6 14:27:32 UTC 2012

Antonio,

As you have seen, others were able to open the files, but I am a little unclear exactly where you are running into trouble.  Is it that you can neither open
the PDF file by pressing ENTER on the link nor save it, or is it that saving the file is the primary problem.  What is happening when you right click or use
the applications key?

Sometimes pressing ENTER on a link to a PDF file doesn't work until you change an option in Adobe Acrobat Reader.  There is an option in the
Preferences dialog inside the Adobe Reader that says "Open in Web Browser" and unchecking that option sometimes helps.  This is less of a problem
with later versions of Adobe Acrobat Reader, though.  There are occasionally links that don't go directly to a file and downloading doesn't work.
However, from what others have said, that doesn't seem to be the issue here.  There is a difference between right clicking and using the Applications key
or SHIFT F10, so more specifics on what you are doing would help us give more specific advice.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

On Sat, 5 May 2012 22:15:11 -0400, Antonio Guimaraes wrote:

>Hello all,

>I have been finding more and more web content with PDF files I can not open. As a matter of fact, I don't think I could ever access PDF documents with
success.

>The page linted to below has a additional link that says "journalism." That will open a PDF. How do I get to this file as a totally blind user?

>I have been taught to right-click, or press the applications key to "save file as" but this does not work on the file I am trying to get to at the Boston
University site.