[gui-talk] jre accessibility acid test software needed

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Sun Jun 10 21:18:02 UTC 2012

On a windows 7 box earlier and with sighted assistance I tried installing
libreoffice and openoffice at different times and used manual installation
as documented by Oracle and later used j_win.exe to install
JavaAccessBridge onto a few different versions of java runtime environment
one of which was from Sun and the others were from Oracle.  In all cases
when attempting to enable accessibility in both libreoffice and openoffice
more than one version of libreoffice and current version of openoffice
after java support had been turned on I tried enabling support assistive
technology in accessibility page under options I got back either an
inferior jre message or a jre is defective message and no accessibility.
My conclusion is that after Oracle did a hostile merger and acquisition
operation on Sun, it also broke accessibility features in one or both jre
and perhaps JavaAccessBridge as well.  For office productivity needs, I
got lotus symphony downloaded and installed and I couldn't download it
either since http://www.softpedia.com/ is so inaccessible I had to have
sighted assistance to do that operation.  This nonetheless brings up
another question for me and another problem.  Right now, I can't prove
Java Accessibility works through the Java Access Bridge using either
openoffice or libreoffice.  Is any other software available which will
take advantage of java access bridge features and java accessibility
features built into the jre (preferably without the need to explicitly
enable accessibility) available for download?  I'd like to find out if
anything really is working inside jre through Java Access Bridge in terms
of accessibility.  If it's broken with this software too, then Oracle did
the dirty deed and there's not much can be done by us lifeboat refugees.
If it does work, then the fault is in the code base of openoffice and also
libreoffice which failed to clean it out.  I just like to have effective
software not defective software running on the windows box, at least
that's some compensation for having to put up with an inaccessible
installer situation on every version of windows to have come out of
Microsoft to date.