[gui-talk] IE8 problems

Rose Combs rosecombs at q.com
Sun Jul 1 12:51:42 UTC 2012

Well, at work they send out a lot of image documents, can't actually put
something in the computer, and so I need that low-grade OCR, if only to let
me know I need to send the file home and run it through a better OCR so I
can read it.  Jaws 13 which I use at home does work with IE 8 and 9, and
there are a couple of changes in how it plays with Office which may be
helpful.

I keep my home computer up-to-date, at work if they get it to work a little,
even if it is only a half-baked solution they are content.

I generally try to embrace the new changes and I may even use the
proofreading tool since I tend to put double periods occasionally when
writing medication doses and the Latin abbreviations for them such as b.i.d.
That is because we have them in a text expander and I keep forgetting the
period is already there.

All in all, I would like to have my settings both be the same, with changes
in 12-13 when I am at work I have to struggle some times to remember how to
fix something in 9 and vice-versa, in fact I get more confused with 13 than
9 and settings but I can understand why they made the changes.

I am not a fan of ribbons, that said, I used the virtual ribbons in Jaws
only for a few days, idea was good, but I know a lot of the old Word
shortcuts that still work and could not use them with the virtual ribbon on.
I was already used to working with ribbons before they gave us that ability
but new users will probably find that a wonderful feature.

Rose Combs
rosecombs at Q.com