[gui-talk] eftps site accessibility

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Tue Feb 14 03:14:04 UTC 2012

While true a blind person could probably buy a scanner and write it off
as a disability-related deduction the scanner would probably have to be
mid-range in performance to handle the printed material.  A blind person
in that same year might also have to do a write off for a computer to
attach to that scanner and might either be able to use a low cost or
high cost screen reader solution which they might also have to write off
if they didn't have a Government agency available to help them out in
the employment context.  Such a blind person probably wouldn't be able
to write the computer off.  Alternatively, a blind person will have to
have others deal with printed material for them without such resources
available prior to the need.  A possibility might be to find a notary
public who has to read documents for sighted people in the course of
their work and pay them properly for their services that's in the event
no trusted people or relatives are within reasonable distance to help
out.
One consideration for any organization advocating the use of braille
(the demand side) that ought to be at front of mind with each policy
decision taken is (how do the organizations policy decisions effect the
supply side).  An advocating organization logically wouldn't want to
have different parts of the organization on different pages on a
particular advocacy issue or that organization would be correctly
perceived as engaging in Kabuki on that particular advocacy issue.