[gui-talk] FW: FREE Screen reader for the visually impaired thattranslates Text to Audio

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Thu Aug 30 21:36:56 UTC 2012

I've used thunder before and found it accessible and actually pretty
good.  By now, it's not a new screen reader and last time I checked out
the web site it had support for windows 7 working very shortly after
windows 7 came out.  It doesn't do libreoffice or openoffice very well
but then again nvda can't do either of them at all either.  The claim
was that nvda could work with openoffice and libreoffice where thunder
could not.  I was one of the people who manage to disprove that.  Lotus
symphony works with nvda and my guess is it won't yet work with thunder
yet.  The big difference between thunder and nvda though is that nvda is
open source and if you know python and can get familiar with the code
base and find a problem, you can fix it.  Thunder is closed source.  The
writers of nvda are blind and wrote it in python starting back in 2006.