[gui-talk] All-In-Ones and Touch Screen Monitors

Rob Tabor rob.tabor at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 13 03:35:10 UTC 2011

Hi, Peter.
I do not own an all in one PC but I have experienced one in the form of an
old Zenith Z100 on which I spent many hours in a PC lab at Frazer Hall at
the U of Kansas learning how to use computers in the mid 1980's when Ms-Dos
was boss. Speech access was provided via a syntheTalker internal board which
sounded unmistakeably robotic and spelled out almost every word it detected,
which made its use rather inefficient and time consuming to say the least.
The machine was heavy and built as sturdy as a battle ship.

In contrast I envision the machine you and the Mrs are considering to be
made of fiber glass or other light weight material without the bulk and
weight of the old Z-100 on which I cut my proverbial teeth. If you will
kindly indulge my trip down memory lane, I am leading, albeit in a
roundabout way, to the consideration that if one function of the machine
malfunctions, the entire computer is a paper weight until it is repaired or
replaced. The purpose of modular hardware perriferals like monitors, mice,
and detachable PS2 keyboards is that the owner/user is at least able to
replace a broken or defective part without the cost and down time of a
wholly self contained system. I hope this helps and please give Mary my best
regards.
Rob Tabor & NFB Guide Cane Raúl