[gui-talk] Seeking Guidance On MSIE8

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Mon May 30 18:51:31 UTC 2011

George:

I agree with you completely. Office 2007 was quite a change but still quite
useable and 2010 isn't that different. Moreover, if one is using JAWS 12,
the "virtual Ribbon" menu system makes it even easier. I vascillate between
turning it ON and OFF.

As for IE 9, it isn't that bad unless you're using screen magnification
rather than speech synthesis. If this last is the case, one is probably
better off staying with IE 8. However, once I made a few configuration
changes in IE 9, everything works satisfactorily and although the way one
gets at a few of the functions has changed, it isn't that bad IMO. The one
caveat I might note is that when I installed IE 9, the installer had to
disable JAWS so I had to bring up Narrator to see what was going on and
ultimately had to do a system restart (probably needed anyway). But the
system seems more stable to me now than it was before I installed IE 9.

Mike