[gui-talk] Seeking Guidance On MSIE8

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Mon May 30 18:27:21 UTC 2011

Steve:

I concur in your assessment. I just switched to IE 9 day-before-yesterday
and, as you say, there are some rough edges (more, perhaps, for those using
screen magnification than for those using speech) but, aside from different
placement of some of the controls we are used to, it's still quite
accessible. And My Lord is it fast!

I'm not sure I'd go back to IE8 -- it's more trouble than it's worth -- but
I might not have switched to IE 9 were it not for a bit of the "aw hell,
let's see what happens" spirit.

My only real stumble was that Flash and windows media Player weren't
detected by web pages and I spent some time going round and round trying to
figure out why, only to discover a checkbox in IE to enable/disable Actibe-X
filtering and once I unchecked this, everything worked like clockwork and,
as I say, lightning fast.

In short, we ought to be wary but IMO we shouldn't raise the alarm -- at
least not yet. We're not on the barricades but perhaps we should be
considering how large our armies should be and who should command them.
(grin)

Mike