[gui-talk] Whats this discount I'm hearing about?

Wayne Merritt wcmerritt at gmail.com
Mon May 16 02:01:35 UTC 2011

Anyone that is in school, and that can prove they're in school by some
means, qualifies for an academic discount. As to how much it saves
you, that can depend. However, take for instance some audio editing
software I bought about 10 years ago. At the time, the software
retailed for $400, and I got it with my educational discount for the
mere price of: $200. I had to electronically send in a proof of
registration from the university I was attending at the time, but it
was worth the hassle since I got half off. I've heard rumors through
the years that with the educational discount, one could obtain a copy
of Office for about $125, but I would encourage you to not take this
as true. check it out. In general you're going to save quite a bit of
money with that school discount. And, in case anyone's wondering, I
don't believe the hadley school would qualify for that discount. You
would need to be enrolled in an accredited school of higher learning,
and would likely need to be able to prove that with a school ID card
or by some other means. Often, if you get a job with an employer, you
may also qualify for work related discounts, such as if you work for
the government in some capacity or for a large corporation or some
other employer. Probably not for smaller employers, but then again,
who knows. I was able to buy the full suite of Office 2010
Professional software, about 14 different programs, for $10 for a
downloadable copy. I don't know how much that package retails for, but
definitely not for $10. So it's worth looking into.

Hth,
Wayne