[gui-talk] leaving computer turned on

Doug Lee dgl at dlee.org
Fri May 13 12:50:28 UTC 2011

My personal preference is this:
For a laptop, I leave it on 24/7 when plugged in and put it in
stand-by if it's on battery and I'm not using it.  For long down
times, I turn it off or hybernate it, depending on how well Hybernate
works on a particular laptop.

For desktop machines, I leave them on 24/7 unless I know I won't need
them for several days at once.

And to put this sort of back on topic for the list, I will point out
that stand-by and hybernate modes for laptops vary in how well they
work with assistive technology such as JAWS.  This is frustrating to
me, because I strongly prefer the ability to use those two modes
freely, yet it's hard to know ahead of time, before buying a laptop,
whether that part will work for me.