[gui-talk] magnification / narrator combos

Susan Kelly Susan.Kelly at pima.gov
Tue May 3 17:24:01 UTC 2011

I have a potentially dumb question, but really need some guidance.  My
office (public defender) will be converting to a file management system
called JustWare, from New Dawn technologies, in November or around then.
I currently use WinZoom for screen magnification and narration, although
our very patched and antiquated county-wide network is slowly destroying
its ability to function.  After discovering that WinZoom was completely
unable to narrate on JustWare, the IT department at our local visual
rehab center was kind enough to run through the available narration
programs for me on JustWare's demo site and determined that only JAWS
would work as a narrator.    (County IT has been less than responsive,
to say the least - they think I should have someone doing my work for
me, apparently.)  My question is, since my now 2-year-old screen
magnification device is beginning to fail, should I request Human
Resources, which will eventually be purchasing JAWS for me this summer,
to just upgrade the magnification device with a newer copy of that
program?  Or is there another magnification program that works better
with JAWS?

(As an aside, I obviously still have very limited residual vision in one
eye and am very much dependant on what visual feed-back I can get....)