[gui-talk] Fancy Computers and Function Keys

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sun Jan 2 23:29:13 UTC 2011

Hello, all.

I just bout a rather fancy HP Pavillion DV7 laptop.  Once I got over the initial hurdle of getting the machine to a position to install JAWS, all went well ... Until I tried to use the function keys (either alone or in combination as with Alt-F4 or JAWS combinations using the function keys).  I soon discovered that the "new thing on the block" is not to have those keys be function keys by default but, rather, to have them do other things as with new Mac keyboards.  One can still get them to function as good old function keys by holding a modifier key down while pressing them.  Which is OK, I suppose, unless you want to kill a program from the keyboard or do a myriad of other things.  One doesn't have enough hands to hold down the combinations.  I suppose I could use Sticky Keys but that seems almost equally awkward.  I understand that changing this behavior, i.e., reversing the situation so the keys would be function keys by default and do their fancy new thing when the modifier key is held down, requires a BIOS change which is double-plus uncool!

My question:  has anyone discovered a work-around for this short of ditching the computer and getting something more bare-bones (read old-fashioned)?

T I A!

Mike Freeman