[gui-talk] Fwd: Recommending a free OCR online service that works well with Window-Eyes

Steve Pattison srp at internode.on.net
Fri Feb 25 03:22:57 UTC 2011

This would probably work with other screen readers as well. -Steve.

From:    Jeff Samco jsamco at jps.net
To:      GW-Info at gwmicro.com

Some of you may benefit from this free OCR service.

I recently found an online OCR service which will easily convert PDFs
into readable text when the PDFs contain scanned images of text and
Adobe only comes back with blank pages.

The website is www.newocr.com. The site works well with Window-Eyes.
There's initially one unlabelled button which is the browse button to
locate the file to be uploaded. Once located, there is a labelled
button to upload it for OCR processing. The process takes just a few
seconds.

Once uploaded, the next webpage presents a simple interface:

1. a drop down list of numberred pages,
2. a "Repeat Recognition" button,
3. "Upload a new document" button,
4. a read-only edit box already containing the text of the first page.

it's easy to copy the text over to another application.

The only inconvenience is how one gets the subsequent pages of text. use
the drop down list to select the next page number and then use the
button labelled "Repeat Recognition."

This refreshes the read-only edit box with that page's text. It produced
very few of the common OCR errors. These are flagged with a question
mark.

Overall, I'm really pleased with the ease of getting good results from
otherwise unreadable PDFs.

HTH,
Jeff

Regards Steve