[gui-talk] Unable to Access Target.com

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Sat Dec 24 15:58:31 UTC 2011

As you may have seen, I can access Target with IE 8 just fine now, but I couldn't yesterday.  In both cases, I was
using IE 8 so if you can't access it yet you probably have some setting that it isn't handling correctly as I probably did
yesterday.  If you can access it now, they probably had a problem.  Since I can access it today, it seems pretty clear
that they are not trying to limit access to IE 9.  However, whether you or I like it or not, accessibility is not the same as
universal access.  There are now many sites that don't work with IE 6, for example.  Also, there are settings that can
affect access.  Try logging on to Wells Fargo, for example, with redirection turned off.  You'll wait forever.  Try surfing
the web today with many older browsers.  We are stuck with living in a world where things change and are not always
backward compatible.  If Target had blocked IE 8, I would be the first to say that would have been stupid, but mostly
because they would have offended many customers.  However, this does not appear to be the case, even though I'm
not sure of the exact cause.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson
partly because.