[gui-talk] (no subject)

Hoffman, Allen Allen.Hoffman at HQ.DHS.GOV
Wed Dec 14 14:14:23 UTC 2011

I really would like to know that the NFB has had positive discussions
with the Google accessibility team about their continuous dual,
inaccessible and accessible approach to their products.  It would be
nice if they'd just make things work for all in a single package.  While
I'm all for alternatives that work, "some" work to do the job in a
single package is worth the work generally.  Constantly being pushed to
alternatives like on amazon.com and Google sends the wrong message, e.g.
we might provide this for people with disabilities, but basically they
are not our main customers, or are not considered as part of the main
customer group.  Keeping an eye on such widely used pages, and publicly
listing specific accessibility problems, and publicly tracking their
resolution would be a step towards transparency and improvements moving
forward.  When companies drop accessibility from the product line up, or
push it to the background, it has to be called out, and tracked over
time.  Standard testing procedures and reporting would help make this a
clear unbiased kind of thing, but I've not seen this really widely
published.

Allen Hoffman