[gui-talk] Screenreaders

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Wed Aug 3 15:13:04 UTC 2011

Kris,

This is what I was afraid of when you wrote your original note.  I don't think most of your frustrations are due to JFW and may not even be due to Windows 7
directly, but may have more to do with a new computer.

First, you can't control the touch of a keyboard with Windows settings in terms of how sensitive the keyboard is.  You can still control the repeat rate and the
delay before keys repeat, but I don't think that is what you mean.  Be sure that your keyboard does not have fold out legs along the back that might give it
some slope.  It is possible, though, that your answer is to just buy a different keyboard.  I bought an HP a while back and have just never gotten used to the
keyboard that came with it and I think I am going to do the same thing.

Which e-mail program are you using?  That may determine the answers.

When focus gets stolen away, where does it land?  Do you have a mouse pad, or is it possible you have a keyboard tray or table that causes your mouse to
jump when you type?  Try setting your mouse further from your keyboard or even turn it on its side.  If it is an opticle mouse, it doesn't take much for vibration
to move the mouse pointer.  This generally shouldn't move the focus, but there could be some interaction.

Also, after your computer has been running for a few minutes after botting up, ALT-TAB through everything to see if you have any windows open that you
did not open.  Sometimes there are update windows specific to a brand of computer that are left open, and it might help to close them.  You might also want
to be sure that all of the Windows Updates have been applied.  What are you using for a virus checker?  If a scan is running, it is not impossible that
messages are grabbing the focus.  There are just a lot of things that can be causing your frustration, and if you already have bought and paid for your
screen reader, and if you have liked your screen reader in the past, you probably need to check all this out before changing because you might not solve
any problems in the process and have a new learning curve to deal with.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

On Wed, 3 Aug 2011 09:36:21 -0500, Kris Hickerson wrote:

>Hi Guys,

>Well, there are several problems here.

>First of all I'm using a relatively new HP computer running Windows 7.  This
>is my first introduction to 7, and I hate it, sofar.

>Something is not set right in Windows because when I'm typing an email all
>of a sudden it will take me out of the message I'm typing and put me
>somewhere else.  I don't realize it's happened until I get some strange
>message from JAWS indicating that I'm no longer in the message I was
>attempting to write.  Then I have to alt tab until I bring up the message I
>was writing in the first place.  This has happened four times just while I'm
>trying to compose this message.

>Secondly, is it possible to change the touch on these new computers.  This
>keyboard is so sensative you can almost breathe on it and type a character.
>My getting used to this  computer is also part of the problem.  The keys are
>not as sloped as most keyboards are, it is practically perfectly level and
>that is giving me a problem.

> dthirdly,  as I mentioned before, I think there are settings in Windows I
>could change to make it perform more to my liking, but I don't know what to
>change.

>And exactly where or if JAWS fits into this picture I'm not sure.  There are
>probably settings in JAWS I could choose to make it better as well.  Here
>again, I really don't know where to start and what to change.  I don't like
>the way it displays some of my emails.  It has everything in coluns and most
>of the time all I get are numbers and rows of the columns and not the text .
>I feel certain this is a JAWS problem.

>Anyway, after starting this email over four times I hope it's cleaned up
>enough to send.

>Kris

>>> rter.net