[gui-talk] Screenreaders

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Wed Aug 3 03:35:06 UTC 2011

Hi, Jaybee.

More and more PC's these days are being configured such that the function
keys perform functions analogous to those on a Mac computer. You've seen
this in the volume/mute function keys. I had the same problem with this
HPPavillion DV7 laptop.

The solution is to have a sighted person who knows what s/he is doing go in
and change the BIOS such that the function keys perform their original
purpose and the shift key is required to makethem do their Mac-like thing.
In the BIOS on this computer, it was a simple change to a toggle. There's no
guarantee that the BIOS on your machine has the capability of reverting to
the behavior of the function keys you're used to but I bet it does.

In the meantime, if you have enough hands, holding down the Shift Key while
pressing the function keys may well bring back the behavior you expect.

Mike Freeman