[gui-talk] Computer museum?

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Thu Sep 2 02:37:59 UTC 2010

I'm dating myself but my favorite microcomputer operating system was Cp/M.
One could get in there, change the command processor and/or change/modify
the BIOs and have a rollicking good time doing so. One could generate some
horrendous crashs but it was great fun to speed up systems by half or more
and systems with 64K max separated the efficient programmers from the
less-so. I had a grand old time in 8080 and Z80 laassembly languages
(several different flavors) and was perfectly happy with such systems -- I
had a HP-125 and Telcon Zorba for years.

My favorite program of that era was a terminal program called QTERM written
by a guy named David Goodenough. I adapted it for several different flavors
of CP/M systems. I also did the last update of Kermit for CP/M systems.

For larger machines, I *still* like Vax/VMS. Name me a Windows system that's
been up continuously for well over a year! I can name a Vax/VMS workstation
that's done exactly that! (grin)

Mike