[gui-talk] Fwd: GW Micro Responds to the Future of Screen Readers Discussion Panel Questions

Steve Pattison srp at internode.on.net
Wed Sep 1 21:57:17 UTC 2010

GW Micro Responds to the Future of Screen Readers Discussion Panel Questions
From:	marc at gwmicro.com
To:	gw-info at gwmicro.com

Earlier this summer, the Information Access Committee invited GW Micro, Freedom Scientific, Serotek, NVDA and Apple to participate in the Future of Screen Readers discussion panel at the 2010 ACB convention in Phoenix Arizona.  When the time came for the discussion panel, GW Micro was the only screen reader manufacturer that showed up to participate.  In fairness, Serotek and NVDA attempted to participate via Skype but were unable to do so because of Internet connectivity issues in the hotel conference area.  As for the others, Freedom Scientific declined to participate and Apple did not even acknoweldge the invitation sent by the Information Access Committee.   GW Micro would like to take this opportunity to publicly respond to the 10 questions asked of each participant and you can find the ten discussion panel questions along with our responses below:

1.  Each of your companies has a different business model for marketing and selling your screen reader.  Based on this model, describe how your product is expected to impact the overall market for screen readers.

GW Micro’s business model is driven by the needs of our customers and screen reader users all over the world.  Our goal is to make current versions of the Windows operating system and all Windows-based applications fully accessible.

This is accomplished by three methods.  First, we try to make Window-Eyes as flexible as possible so that the operating system and user applications will be completely accessible and usable “out of the box” without having to perform any screen reader customization or scripting.  Second, we offer users the ability to create set files which can be used to customize and enhance the speaking environment of an application that might not be fully accessible out of the box.  The task of creating set files in Window-Eyes can be easily accomplished using an intuitive user interface.  Lastly, we allow you to customize the operating system and applications based on a user’s specific needs.  This is done by providing the most powerful scripting abilities of any screen reader currently available.   Unlike the competition, Window-Eyes scripting uses the industry standard approach of COM Automation which allows state-of-the-art programming languages to harness the full power of Window-Eyes and create a seamless computing experience for the end-user.  More than 200 Window-Eyes scripts are already available for use and can be downloaded for free directly from Script Central (<../../sc>www.gwmicro.com/sc).

With over 90% of computers running a Windows operating system and the increasing popularity of Windows 7, we expect that there will continue to be strong demand for a stable, secure and flexible Windows-based screen reading solution in the marketplace.  In addition, we expect that Window-Eyes will continue to grow in popularity as more people learn about the powerful scripting capabilities as well as the screen reader’s unmatched stability.   It is also important to mention that GW Micro was the first and still the only screen reader manufacturer to offer a payment plan.  We believe that the Window-Eyes payment plan has had a dramatic impact on the screen reader market by making a powerful screen reader like Window-Eyes affordable to people on fixed incomes as well as others who find themselves in a difficult financial situation.

2.  The role of computing has shifted dramatically in the past few years with much computing being done either remotely—through some kind of cloud-based virtual operating system—or virtual machines via products such as VMware.  Going forward, tell us about your strategy to support remote and virtual computing with your screen reader.

GW Micro worked diligently to be the first screen reader to support remote computing.  This was accomplished by working very closely with Citrix and Microsoft to make sure their remote access technologies would be accessible with Window-Eyes.  This allowed screen reader users access to remote computers using software like Remote Desktop for the first time in screen reader history.  GW Micro has also spent considerable time and effort to make sure that both fat and thin client computing is fully supported.  In addition, GW Micro continues to expand Window-Eyes support for virtual computing platforms including VMWare, Virtual PC, Virtual Box and Parallels.  Moving forward, our strategy will be to continue to work very closely with leading technology firms that provide remote and virtual computing solutions to ensure that these products continue to be fully accessible with Window-Eyes.

3.  As you know, braille is absolutely vital to many aspects of the lives that we live as people who are blind or visually impaired including education, employment, and literacy.  How do you imagine support for braille can be improved in your product?

GW Micro understands the importance of Braille and Braille literacy in the Blind and visually impaired community.  In addition, Braille is essential for a computer user who is Deaf-Blind and GW Micro is proud to report that many of the leading advocates in the Deaf-Blind community prefer Window-Eyes as their screen reader of choice.  This is in part because of our attention to detail found in the Window-Eyes Braille support with features like Quick Message and Speech Box mode.  Another benefit of our Braille support is that Window-Eyes Braille output can be customized and presented in three different ways or modes:  Structured, Line and Speech Box.  These three modes give the user the flexibility to control how Window-Eyes will present information on the Braille display based on their individual Braille reading preferences.  For example, in Line mode, all of the text and controls of a dialog box will be displayed on the same line of Braille instead of displaying each text item and control on a separate line.  By displaying all of the information found in the dialog on one line of Braille, the user can access all of the information very quickly without the need to continually scroll down line by line.

Moving forward, we are very optimistic about the future of Braille and Window-Eyes Braille support.   Because of the advanced scripting abilities of Window-Eyes, Braille display manufacturers like Handy Tech have created powerful scripts allowing users to make better use of their Braille displays.  In addition, innovative features being introduced in Braille displays like Active Tactile Control (ATC) will allow users to interact with their applications in more efficient ways without having to move your fingers away from the Braille display.

GW Micro is constantly striving to make sure any and all Braille displays are supported by Window-Eyes.  GW Micro and many other leaders in assistive technology have chosen to support the OpenBraille initiative.  The focus of this initiative is to develop a universal standard which will allow for any Braille display to work with any screen reader automatically.  Regretfully, not all screen reader manufacturers support this initiative which is negatively impacting the affordability and compatibility of Braille displays and screen readers.  For more information, please feel free to review the two insightful blog posts made by Doug Geoffray, the lead developer of Window-Eyes, on the Braille driver signing issue found at <../../blog/index.php/all/?title=a-thought-on-braille-driver-signing>http://www.gwmicro.com/blog/index.php/all/?title=a-thought-on-braille-driver-signing and <../../blog/index.php/all/?title=more-thoughts-on-braille-driver-signing&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1>http://www.gwmicro.com/blog/index.php/all/?title=more-thoughts-on-braille-driver-signing&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1.  In addition, if you would like to sign the petition to voice your opposition to the “Secure and Compatible Braille Display Initiative” which in our opinion will only serve to harm the Braille reading community as a whole, please visit: http://www.petitiononline.com/brl4all/.

4.  The future role of the World Wide Web is often described as that of a highly interactive, media-rich desktop.  As we move into the era where this role becomes more and more evident with the gradual implementation of such technologies as AJAX and those collectively known as HTML5, what challenges do you foresee your screen reader facing?  What opportunities do you imagine these interfaces to bring?

GW Micro feels that the opportunities presented by emerging web technologies such as ARIA and HTML5 will be truly amazing as long as web authors are given the necessary strategies and tools needed to make their web content accessible in an efficient manner.  GW Micro will continue to work closely with companies and organizations that create web and accessibility standards as we strive to make the web as accessible as possible.

The biggest challenge that we currently face is making the transition from reading simple static web pages to web pages and web applications that are much more complex and dynamic.   This challenge cannot be overcome by adding a few lines of code or writing a few simple scripts.  Instead, GW Micro will invest a significant amount of time and resources to completely re-write the Window-Eyes Browse Mode giving users the power and flexibility needed to access the web content of both today and tomorrow.  GW Micro plans to include our new web support in the next major release of Window-Eyes, version 8.

5.  With rapid changes, often dramatic at times, in operating systems, browsers, and other technologies, screen reader users express frustration that they are unable to take advantage of the technologies used by their sighted peers for months—if not years.  In addition, the interaction model for each screen reader may differ significantly.  What collaborative steps can you take to reduce the lag and different interaction modalities for increased benefit to users?

In the past, it was not uncommon for screen reader users to have to wait several months before a new operating system or application would become accessible.  GW Micro was not satisfied with this paradigm so we took the necessary steps to make sure that major applications and operating systems are supported on day one.  This is accomplished by working very closely with the application developers during design time to ensure that their applications are fully accessible with a screen reader.

GW Micro has a strong reputation for working closely with key application developers in an effort to provide full access to applications at the time they are made available to the public.  The list of software companies that GW Micro has collaborated with over the years includes Microsoft, Apple, IBM, Adobe, Citrix and many others.

Microsoft is at the top of the list because we strive to provide full access to every version of Windows before or as soon as it is released to the public.  In fact, Microsoft contracted with GW Micro to write the Display Chain Manager (DCM) which set the precedent for collaboration between a screen reader manufacturer and a commercial technology giant like Microsoft.  Window-Eyes was the first screen reader to support Windows Vista because during a two week porting lab at Microsoft, GW Micro was the only screen reader manufacturer to send our software engineers for the entire two week period.  Because of our extra efforts, Microsoft decided to use Window-Eyes to demonstrate the accessibility of Windows Vista prior to the official release of the operating system.  Window-Eyes was also the first screen reader to support Microsoft Office 2007 and 2010 because we worked directly with the Office team to ensure full accessibility.

Our collaborative efforts with Adobe and Macromedia led to Window-Eyes being the first screen reader to support both PDF files and Flash content.  In addition, Window-Eyes was the first screen reader to support Citrix and Terminal services because GW Micro was the first screen reader manufacturer to work with Citrix and Microsoft to make these tools accessible.

Moving forward, GW Micro’s strategy will be to continue to work side by side with leading software developers so that accessibility incorporated into the design and development of future operating systems and applications.

6.  Imagine that you are participating on a panel 5 years from now.  What do you hope you can tell us about the screen reader space and the role of your screen reader in it?

While companies like Microsoft and Apple will continue to integrate accessibility into their operating systems, we feel that GW Micro and other screen reader manufacturers will still have an important role to play in the market.  This holds true because competition has been proven to drive creativity and innovation.  Without competition from companies like GW Micro, Microsoft and Apple will have no incentive to make their screen readers work with competing technologies.  For example, what incentive would Apple have to make their screen reader work with Microsoft Office and what incentive would Microsoft have to make their screen reader work with iTunes?

Many people are optimistically waiting for a utopia where all applications and technologies are accessible from day one because commercial technology vendors will build accessibility into their products.  While this might sound like an ideal solution to the accessibility issues we face today, history has shown us that technology evolves too quickly for this to be possible in all cases.  Because of this, screen reader pioneers like GW Micro will still play a very important role in developing the most innovative solutions to solve the accessibility problems inherent in commercial technologies.

GW Micro has been a pioneer in the screen reader industry for over 20 years and its founders, Doug Geoffray and Dan Weirich have been developing assistive technology for Blind and visually impaired computer users since the early 80’s.  We have the experience and knowledge required to develop a powerful screen reader and properly support our customers.  If Apple and Microsoft are the only companies left offering a screen reader in the future, you can rest assured that screen readers will only be capable of what an Apple or Microsoft want them to instead of what screen reader users actually need them to do.  In contrast, GW Micro will continue to pioneer innovative and customer driven solutions and add to our “list of firsts” as new operating systems and applications are developed.

7.  Training and support are essential for most screen reader users.  What innovative steps can you take in the future to ensure that your users have the best training and support available?  What are some challenges are you likely to face?

GW Micro has a unique training model that is not matched by any of our competitors.  GW Micro offers two types of Window-Eyes training: individualized one-on-one phone training as well as hands-on group training.

Our phone training is the perfect training option for someone who would like personalized training that can be setup around their schedule and at an affordable cost.  You can read more about our phone training by visiting: <../../Training/Phone_Training/>http://www.gwmicro.com/Training/Phone_Training/.

GW Micro also travels around the country conducting hands-on Window-Eyes training classes that cover basic and intermediate Window-Eyes skills.   These classes have been extremely successful and were recently reviewed and recognized by the American Foundation for the Blind’s AccessWorld online publication.  You can read the glowing review written by Deborah Kendrick by visiting: http://www.afb.org/afbpress/pub.asp?DocID=aw110305.

With the introduction of Window-Eyes scripting, GW Micro has launched hands-on Window-Eyes scripting training classes as well.  These classes give individuals an opportunity to learn how to download, configure and use Window-Eyes scripts as well as how to start writing your own Window-Eyes scripts.  GW Micro offers both a Beginner/Intermediate scripting class as well as an Advanced scripting class.  You can read more about our script training by visiting: http://www.gwmicro.com/Training/Script_Training/.

GW Micro has a reputation for offering superior technical support and this is accomplished by having a dedicated group of technical support representatives and engineers to help our customers troubleshoot and resolve any problems that they may encounter.  Unlike other companies, you are always going to speak to a real person when you call us for support.  In addition, GW Micro is the only screen reader manufacturer to host and moderate an email discussion list.  This list is a great resource that allows our customers to discuss technical issues and questions with GW Micro’s technical support team as well others in the Window-Eyes community.

Moving forward, GW Micro would like to continue to use and deploy new solutions that take advantage of remote computing and emerging web technologies so we can continue to improve and enhance the support and training we provide.   For example, GW Micro is actively using social media outlets including Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and Flickr to increase our outreach and exposure to the community.  In addition, GW Micro gives everyone the ability to review and rate scripts at Script Central (<../../sc>www.gwmicro.com/sc), participate in forums dedicated to accessibility (<../../forum>www.gwmicro.com/forum) as well as to contribute to online documentation (<../../wiki>www.gwmicro.com/wiki).

At GW Micro, we don’t just provide assistive technology solutions; we are an active member of the Blind and visually impaired community.  GW Micro hopes to pass along our knowledge and expertise to a new generation of assistive technology trainers, consultants and end-users.  We are optimistic that our model for training and support will lead to a growing and prosperous community of Window-Eyes users all over the world.

8.  What are the top three things you would tell developers who develop software, websites, and interactive environments?

First, we would recommend software developers introduce accessibility at design time using existing standards instead of creating new standards or trying to retro fit accessibility into the application or website after the fact.  This should reduce development costs and greatly enhance the accessibility of the application.   Second, we would encourage software developers to work directly with accessibility leaders such as GW Micro.  This can lead to more commercial software being fully accessible “out of the box” with screen readers.  Lastly, we would tell developers that they should have Blind and visually impaired users test their software for accessibility and usability before releasing the product.  We believe that this strategy would help software companies better understand the unique perspective of Blind and visually impaired computer users and encourage them to fix accessibility issues found in their software before it is released.

9.  By introducing a screen reader as an integral part of the operating system available for every user and at no additional cost, Apple has changed the dynamics of the screen reader industry.  What changes need to occur for Microsoft to bring about a similar model for Windows?  What reasons are there for not taking such a step?

GW Micro believes that having a free screen reader as part of the operating system does a disservice to Blind computer users.  How many people dropped their dedicated screen reader in favor of Microsoft Narrator when it first came out in Windows or now that it has been around for more than a decade?  The relatively small size of the screen reader market does not allow Microsoft or Apple to invest the amount of resources that accessibility truly deserves.  Without a major change in Microsoft or Apple’s infrastructure, they would be ill-prepared to develop a strong and evolving screen reader as well as provide the type of support that is often required by screen reader users.   Without competition from screen reader manufacturers like GW Micro there will be no incentive for Apple or Microsoft to include a feature-rich and powerful screen reader into their operating system.

10.  As a developer of a screen reader, what to you is the most frustrating aspect of being in this market?

GW Micro’s biggest frustration is not being able to make all of our customers’ applications and the web pages they browse fully accessible.  With the growing use of accessibility standards by software developers in conjunction with the powerful scripting capabilities and increased flexibility of Window-Eyes, we are optimistic that we will eventually be able to reach our goal of making all of our customers’ applications and favorite web pages fully accessible.