[gui-talk] Windows XP to Windows 7?

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Sun Oct 31 19:14:51 UTC 2010

Mike,

I have been using Windows 7 on my new netbook for six weeks or so and have pretty much had the same experiences that Curtis has described.  I think,
though, that I could get used to just searching for programs from the Start Menu search box.  Also, I probably will use the desktop more than I did under XP
and there are ways of attaching programs to the Task Bar that I have not used.  These are all things that may change your mode of operating but are more
a change in habbit rather than steep learning curves.  The control panel is a good deal different, and you will find more cases where you have to explore
with the arrow keys because the arrow keys will find buttons that are not in the TAB order.

Regarding 64-bit machines, I have to replace another computer within the next few days and am trying to decide what to do.  Like you, I tend to use a
computer for a long time, so I am leaning toward biting the bullet and going with a 64-bit machine rather than regretting that I bought a 32-bit machine for the
next five years or more.  I am finding it very hard to find anything but 64-bit computers except in the Netbook class.  I suspect the negative aspects of a 64-
bit machine will go away fairly soon unless, of course, you have an old piece of hardware that you can't live without but is no longer supported.  This would
then have to be a consideration.  If you need to, you can use Microsoft's Security Essentials for virus protection which is free until you decide what you will
do in the long run.  Anyway, good luck.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson