[gui-talk] Windows XP to Windows 7?

Curtis Chong curtischong at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 31 17:32:15 UTC 2010

Mike:

Here are some radnom thoughts that I can share with you regarding my
transition to Windows 7 from Windows XP.  I hope they will provide you with
some helpful information.

1.	In Windows 7, you will notice some differences in the behavior of
Windows Explorer.  For one thing, the title bar will not, by default, show
you the full file path.  If you want to find out which folder you are in,
the best way to do this is to press ALT+D to move your focus to the address
box.  Then, you'll have to hit Shift Tab Twice to get back to the list of
files and folders.  In Windows Explorer, you will notice some things like
the "name split" button.  Don't press it unless you intend to have your
files sorted in a difference sequence<smile>.  There is an advantage to
using the new Windows Explorer.  If you are looking at a list of files, you
can press the right arrow key to move between columns.  This way, you can
quickly jump to a column showing when the file was created, when it was
modified, and how big it is.  In my opinion, this different and better than
the Windows Explorer that runs under Windows XP.

2.	The Start Menu is vastly different.  When you press the Windows Key,
you are put into a search box.  Many people seem to like the Search box,
because from there, you can type what you are looking for, and Windows will
quickly try to find it.  For example, if you are trying to start Word, just
type Word, and entries in the Start menu containing Word will show up fairly
quickly.  I myself don't like this as much because I have this crazy notion
that I like to know where in the menu structures programs and files are
located before I actually start to use them<smile>.

3.	Avoid 64-bit processors.  I find that the transition to Windows 7 is
made much simpler if you can avoid buying a computer with a 64-bit
processor.  Alas, the default in most big box stores is the 64-bit computer.
So, you'll have to go to some lengths to get a 32-bit machine.  What, you
say, is the problem?  Mostly, not much if you are tech savvy.  You have to
be sure to use the right version of JAWS, you have to get the correct
drivers for scanners, Braille displays, and the like, and you have to be
sure that your security software (i.e., antivirus and anti-spyware programs)
support 64-bit processors.  If you can do all of that, then perhaps the
64-bit processor will not be that much of a problem for you.  The cool thing
from a technical perspective is that with a 64-bit processor, Windows will
be able to take advantage of all 4 gigabytes and more of available memory.

4.	At work, I am running Office 2010 and Windows 7.  I noticed right
away that the "My Documents" folder has gone away.  Windows 7 now likes to
use libraries which are essentially collections of pointers to files and
folders.  Beware of the library if you like to know where things are located
on your hard drive or on a network drive.  I find myself doing more copying
and pasting of paths in Windows 7 than in previous versions because of the
absence of the My Documents shortcut.

5.	In Windows 7, Outlook Express no longer exists.  If you are already
using Microsoft Outlook or some other non-Microsoft email client, then this
should not be a problem for you.  If, however, you have been using Outlook
Express, you will have to decide whether you want to switch to Outlook, use
Windows Live Mail, or get another email program.  Since I was already using
Outlook both at work and at home, this was not an issue for me, but I can
understand why it would be an issue for those people who have been using
Outlook Express.  Alas, I do not have much personal acquaintance with the
replacement to Outlook Express.

6.	Shutting down Windows in Windows 7 is a snap.  Just press the
Windows key, press Right Arrow once, and then press Enter.  It's reqlly
quite simple<smile>.

Well, that's pretty much all I can share at this point.  Bear in mind that I
have had only three weeks of experience with Windows 7 and Office 2010.  I
am sure that over time, I will learn a lot more.

Cordially,

Curtis Chong