[gui-talk] $100 computers.

Kenlawrence124 at aol.com Kenlawrence124 at aol.com
Mon Nov 1 17:55:29 UTC 2010

Hi list, My first computer was one of the windows 98 machines a friend got
rid of.  They were only pentium 1 processors and had Window-eyes on the
machine.  That was six years ago.  It also had Juno installed on  it.  It died
on me one day before I could really make use of it.   I didn't know how to
defrag, to use the scan disc utility, or things like that  so I maybe could
have saved it.  Of course by todays standards it wouldn't  cut it and with
Juno more or less a has been, and with websites today more then  likely the
new ones they offer are much later.  If your getting your foot  in the door
like I was at the time it maybe is a good option.  I can't say  quality
control is a sure thing though.  Also with NVDA some of you maybe  won't like the
Espeak voice as a default, and Microsoft Sam is worse.  That  is one of the
worse voices I ever heard the old Speech plus calculaters sounded  better,
not to mention the old speak and spell.  If you can get used to the  accent
of NVDA and if you find a voice that is easier on the ear you can get  used
to it.  I remember whe the Reading edge came out, David andrews did a
review in the August 1993 monitor Reading machines compared and one of them had
an accent like NVDA and he thought it was kind of kooky to give a machine an
 austrailian accent.  That is Espeak.  You maybe can find out how to  get a
real speak as a stand alone to work in the SAPI 5 speech choice.