[gui-talk] Fwd: Article: Primpo to introduce 'Isonic', its revolutionary white cane for the visually impaired

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Fri Mar 26 13:44:45 UTC 2010

It makes sense to try not to judge something new based upon past technologies, but there seems to be some fairly long-standing principles that govern whether a
device will be successful or even useful.  Too often the technicians don't talk enough to the skeptics.

For example, if a device is a part of a cane, what happens if the cane is dammaged such as was indicated by Mike's comment about the car door test.  Also, most of
us have strong but varying preferences for the type of cane we use.  There is no claim here that this device will replace a cane, and that shows some degree of
understanding as such devices tend not to provide warnings of drop-offs or stairs going down.  In my mind, a device needs to be transferrable and attachable to a
number of different styles of canes.

Next is price.  It is easy for people to think that we would pay any price to not get slapped in the face by wet leaves on an overhanging branch after a rainstorm.  I
hate that, but I wouldn't spend a fortune to avoid it.

How about the durability.  I'm not going to start depending on a device that acts up if the temperature gets too cold or too warm, or if the battery life is unpredictable,
even if it helps me out when it is working right.  I probably won't use it when it is rainy if there is any chance that rain will cause it to fail resulting in the need to repair
or replace it.  How well is it protected if my cane is on the floor and someone steps on it.  Does having such a device mean that I will never put my cane on the
floor?

I think that the idea that a travel aid should be transferrable between canes is a no-brainer, but this seems not a commonly-held belief.  Part of the reason, though, is
that it isn't that easy to be sure the device is oriented correctly, for one thing, and if it is not it will give incorrect information.  Still, to be able to transfer the device or
use it independently of a cane seems like a very good idea.

The point here is that new technologies may well improve, but some of these other factors remain constant.  Like someone else here, I tried the spectacles with the
ear pieces back in the 1970's, and I was fascinated with them.  I very much felt that they truly extended the knowledge of my environment.  I could differentiate
between a wall, a large glass surface and a wall covered by a curtain.  But in the end, I had to ask myself, what is this device telling me that will really make a
difference in my getting around.  Given the price, is the worrying I will do that it will be dammaged worth the information that it gives me?  For me, the answer was a
definite "no" even though I was fascinated.  I've been lucky enough to try other devices over the years as well, and being a technology guy, I have always found
them very interesting, but the same things I have outlined above keep coming up.

I am not one who thinks that there isn't technology that might help us travel.  Trying new travel technologies is something that interests me.  There has to be more
thought, though, to how such technology is integrated into daily living.  I don't know to what degree this current device has taken some of this into account, so my
comments here are not meant as a criticism of that device.  What I am trying to say, though, is that we have good reason not to jump up and cheer when a new
technology is announced until we see how well it has been thought out.  For me, it isn't so much that I am skeptical of the technology but rather how it is
implemented.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson