[gui-talk] Microsoft security essentials

Rob Tabor rob.tabor at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 13 04:05:41 UTC 2010

Hello Laura and List.

The OS compatibility dilemma is exactly what I tried to address in a recent
posting, albeit not as artfully as Laura's observations and concerns. Having
no direct experience in the Apple environment I am unable to respond
directly to Laura's question. However, I have heard that the
interoperability problem rears its two janice-like ugly heads, namely file
sharing and network interface. The first problem it appears could be
remedied by installing dual OS's which seems like an inefficient way to do
your IT, or by making use of a web based collaboration platform such as
Google Chrome, which may not yet be ready for prime time. I suspect the
network interface problem is much more complicated but I'll defer judgment
to the techies among us. Then, as mentioned by Mr. Foret, Linix based
systems add a whole new layer of corporate and consumer choices.

I mention these issues to encourage anyone who is entering into the personal
IT arena for the first time or who contemplate changing to a different OS to
consider these issues carefully and to take the choice that meets one's I.T
needs 90 percent of the time.

Best regards,
Rob Tabor and White Cane Raúl