[gui-talk] pc vs. mac

Dean Martineau dean at topdotenterprises.com
Sun Jul 11 16:18:39 UTC 2010

Indeed, I believe it is now clearly recognized in the blind community that
the Mac is a viable computing option.  I don't see much criticism of the Mac
going on, and I see almost constant trumpeting of it.  It will be good to
see these pc versus Mac discussions increasingly characterized by
dispassionate evaluation of which tool is better for which person under
which circumstances, as distinguished from feelings of evangelism and the
joys of being born again into the Mac experience.  The Mac will not always
be the tool of choice, nor will the pc.  Sometimes the extra money for the
much-maligned JAWS will be a good and necessary choice for a situation, and
sometimes the pc will be unnecessary, and sometimes there are other screen
reader options on the pc side that reduce the economic advantage of buying a
Mac and which a person may for one reason or another prefer. It's all a
matter of determining what a user wants to achieve, then assessing, ideally
with that user involved in the asessment, which tool or combination of tools
best gets the job done.  It's nice to have as many options as we have.

Dean

Dean