[gui-talk] Fwd: Accessible HD Radio

Steve Pattison srp at internode.on.net
Fri Jul 2 04:30:44 UTC 2010

 From:    "Dave Marthouse" <dmarthouse at gmail.com>
 To:      "PC audio discussion list. " <Pc-audio at pc-audio.org>

Hi Gang,

I got the message below from the blind hams list.  As this has to do with an accessible
broadcast HD radio I thought I'd post it here.  See www.diceelectronics.com/itr100a-info
for more details.

Dave

Several months ago, someone on this list asked about an accessible HD
Radio.

I replied that such a unit was on the horizon, but that I could not
disclose what I knew about it at the time. That was because I was part
of a volunteer advisory team from the International Association of
Audio Information Services, IAAIS, the organization of radio reading
service professionals, which was working with Dice Electronics toward
the release of this receiver.

Below is information about the iTR-100A Vision Free HD Radio from the
Dice Electronics Website:

This unit began shipping last week, but I strongly suspect quantities
are limited.

Important Notes:

1. The accessible model is the iTR-100A.

2. The receiver also works for AM HD, although the information below
doesn't mention that fact.

3. The radio reading service feature referenced below is *not the 67
or 92 KHZ analogue FM sub-carrier. It is a new digital authorization
scheme to instruct an HD receiver to receive a digital Radio Reading
Service signal. All I can say about this feature is that it will be
tested in selected radio reading service stations soon.

You will find the information which appears below my signature, along
with accessible downloadable documentation, and ordering information
for the radio in the iTR-100A link near the top of the Dice
Electronics website.

http://www.diceelectronics.com

Mike Duke, K5XU, Director,
Radio Reading Service of Mississippi

Based on the popular DICE iTR-100 tabletop HD Radio(tm), this unit was
designed with special consideration for the visually impaired.
Practical voice prompts
and audible feedback have been added which makes operating the
iTR-100A simple and intuitive.

Each button press is followed by an audio queue to help guide the user
through actions such as station browsing or setting up the alarm
clock. All buttons
and knobs are arranged and spaced apart with ease of use in mind. The
compact size of the unit makes it easy to enjoy the enhanced
noise-free sound quality
of HD Radio or RRS (Radio Reading Service) at home or in your office.

iTR-100A Vision Free HD Radio Features

Audio Feedback: Voice announcements are made to guide the user through
each button press. Radio station information, time and settings are
all assisted
by vocal queues.

RRS Capable:  Register the radio's serial number with a local Radio
Reading Service provider to access the RRS content.

 Alarm Clock:  Announces the current time on wake and begins to play
preset radio station.

Access to Multicast Channels:  Access more content with HD Radio's
Multicast channels. These are HD2 and HD3 channels found on HD Radio
frequencies.

Regards Steve
Email:  srp at internode.on.net
MSN Messenger:  internetuser383 at hotmail.com