[gui-talk] Fwd: reordering the Thunderbird message columns

Steve Pattison srp at internode.on.net
Mon Jan 25 22:40:36 UTC 2010

These instructions are written from the perspective of a Window-eyes
user.  -Steve.

From:    Raul A. Gallegos raul at gwmicro.com
 To:      GW Info Discussion List gw-info at gwmicro.com

Hello all. Here is how to order the Thunderbird message columns the way
you want. Keep this message for the future and it will help you. Please
note that it sounds difficult, but is not after you do this a few times.
The message status is read through msaa, so there are no graphics to label.

Find the line with the headers with the mouse pointer. This usually has
subject, date, from or something similar. Right arrow with numpad 6 to
the end of the line, or rather the last character of the line. Now
control-shift-numpad-6 to move by pixels to the end of the line,
eventually you will hear WE say graphic, when you do, left click there.
Now a menu opens up where you can use regular up/down arrows to choose
which items you want shown. I choose message status, priority, and
attachment. So press enter on the first one you want, and then left
click again to open that menu once more. As long as you don't move your
mouse, you can just left click each time you want to open the menu to
add something new.

Once you have added the ones you want, read the current mouse line with
numpad-5 and you will see that in addition to subject, date, and sender,
you will see the new ones you added. Now to order those headers in the
way you want, for example, I have status first then priority, then
subject. What you should do is mouse arrow to the one you want to move,
press insert-numpad-period and Window-Eyes will say mark. Now move to
the left of this line and you may be on subject. When you are on the
first header, press insert-numpad-period again and Window-Eyes will ask
you if you want to mark or drop. Choose Drop and the item you marked to
move will drop in its place. So now you have just reordered a column.
Keep repeating this procedure until the columns are in the way you want
and as you up/down arrow in your message list, if you have status set
first as you arrow, you will hear things like, read, replied to, new,
unread, ETC.

I can't really give further information on this, but if I have time,
I'll do an audio demonstration on Thunderbird and it will help those who
still need it. It should anyway.

One thing I forgot to add is that if you want, you can always save a
hotspot for the area where this graphic is located. That way if you want
to return to it in the future, you should be able to do so via a hot
key. Of course this requires the hot spot script from SC.

Hope this helps.

--
Raul A. Gallegos
GW Micro Technical Support Team