[gui-talk] Hotmail and Outlook Express or Windows Live?

qubit lauraeaves at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 18 17:52:23 UTC 2010

Hi Sherry --
I don't currently have a hotmail account, but I do have an account that uses
live.com, which I believe can accept hotmail. You configure as follows.  See
if it works.

Go to the accounts settings in OE, select the hotmail account entry, go to
properties, servers tab, and for the servers type pop3.live.com for hotmail,
and smtp.live.com for smtp.
Then in the username, type not just the username, but the entire hotmail
address -- that is, me at hotmail.com.
Uncheck secure password authentication, check the box for secure server, hit
apply and then go to the advanced tab.  Under ports, put 25 for smtp and 995
for pop3, and check secure server for both of them.  Hit apply and check the
ports again to be sure they stuck, and then hit ok.

I really don't know if this will work, but live.com is run by microsoft (I
think) and so it may be a way of accessing the account with pop3, which
microsoft is trying to phase out.

HTH.  Let me know if it works.
It works for me on my yahoo account.
--le