[gui-talk] Still hassling with my laptop keyboard

Joel Deutsch jdeutsch at dslextreme.com
Mon Jan 4 17:54:12 UTC 2010

Lloyd,

That's a very interesting observation you found in that article. Obviously,
though I don't mean anything argumentative by this, it contradicts the
entire tradition of how typewriters used to be built and then  how computer
keyboards have usually been provided with little fold-down jacks on their
rears, so as to provide a simulacrum of that familiar hand position thing.

So the article saying that flat or even tilted downward, away from the
typist, would be ergonomically better, is pretty moot, when generation upon
generation of typist have learned to hold their hands to accommodate the
upward tilt. It's sort of like saying that a model other than the QWERTY
keyboard would have been better, when the fact is, that keyboard design won
out and became the standard, something over 100 years ago.

The trick is, you've got to try to accommodate to how something is even if
it means considerable discomfort, as in my case with the laptop keyboard.
And let's not forget the confusing lack of space between keys and so forth,
which the fingers unconsciously use as geographic markers.

But it is what it is, like they say. I'll either master typing on that Acer
of mine or it'll just sit there, maybe used as a backup of my desktop's hard
drive or something. It was a holiday gift from a dear friend, so I'm trying
still to learn to use it, out of gratitude.

Thanks again for that input. Very interesting.
Joel