[gui-talk] Still hassling with my laptop keyboard

Joel Deutsch jdeutsch at dslextreme.com
Sun Jan 3 06:08:09 UTC 2010

Wayne,

I'm not insulted by your proposal, don't worry. yes, I did try out several
laptops at the stores, but I confess that another priority narrowed my
range: Power and price. I wanted a model with the smallest hard drive and
not necessarily the most powerful processor, because that's all I need. So
even though I tried out a few different keyboards before settling on my
Acer, which was on sale for a particularly good price, I didn't even bother
looking at the powerhouse models that are promoted as something like media
centers, with humongous hard drives and powerful processors for handling
gaming and video editing and the like. I had what you might call netbook
needs but no desire for the tiny size of a netbook, whose keyboards are all
too small for me even to have considered.

The friend who helped me buy  buy the machine and worked hard to configure
it with XP instead of the Windows 7 it was pre-loaded with is now on
vacation with his wife. There have been other delays. So when he gets back,
it may be too late to reconfigure the machine back to its original Windows 7
state and then try to exchange it or get a refund. If that's so, and even
regardless, I may just get a USB keyboard and learn to appreciate the
unwieldy setup when my back goes bad or my headaches make it hard to sit at
my desk at my regular computer.

I don't know what I'll do. I'm just concentrating on not letting this bum me
out to the point of serious depression. Seriously. Anyway, thanks for the
input, and don't worry about offending me. It's just a crappy situation. And
if I'd had to spend a couple hundred more to get a keyboard my fingers could
make sense of, well, I don't know. I'm not sure I would have done it, given
how modest my computing needs were in other respects. It just isn't
sensible. Like buying a BMW to drive to church and the laundromat when a
Honda Civic would have been just fine.

mumble mumble, as before...

Joel