[gui-talk] Maintaining View settings in Win Xp Windows Explorer

Joel Deutsch jdeutsch at dslextreme.com
Sat Jan 2 00:57:00 UTC 2010

Hi listers,

I'm lucky to have managed to get my Acer laptop running under familiar Win
XP Home rather than the Windows 7 it came with, thanks to my I T
professional pal who set it up for me, which included having to seek out all
sorts of drivers that were freely available and easy to find until Microsoft
began shipping Windows 7, at which point they forced a lot of computer
companies to stop offering drivers for Win XP. Or so says my friend..

Fine. So that's one thing I didn't have to learn afresh. As everyone knows,
the keyboard alone is a tough enough challenge for this dude.

But I have to relearn something I used to know how to set on my XP desktop,
but have forgotten how to do long ago. Making View settings stick in Windows
Explorer. I discovered that some files in some folders were invisible to me
and, checking their properties, I learned that it wasn't because somehow
they'd been checked to be invisible or something. it turned out that the
option "Icons was checked in the View menu, and this had made some files
disappear. I don't know why that is.

anyway, I arrowed down to Details and pressed Enter to check it, instead,
and the files reappeared, and navigation was normal. But just leaving
Windows Explorer to do something in another application and coming back to
look for another file, I found that my change had undone itself and half the
files in certain folders had again disappeared, or I didn't know how to look
for them. Like maybe you're supposed to use the left and right arrows
instead of going up and down, as if the files were icons on your Desktop? I
didn't think of that. I just arrowed up and down, because that's what was
habit for me.

So I went into the View menu and, sure enough, it had reset itself to show
Icons checked again. I arrowed to Details, hit Enter, and things went back
to normal, by my lights.

But how do you get changes to the View menu to stick? I just plain forgot.

thanks in advance to anyone who knows what I'm talking about and can
reeducate me on this.

Joel