[gui-talk] here is some information on fire fox for screen readers

CathyAnne Murtha cathy at accesstechnologyinstitute.com
Thu Feb 18 03:33:47 UTC 2010

Firefox has some nice features that Internet Explorer doesn't.  It also less prone to viruses.

It has a password manager that remembers your passwords and that you can browse if you forget a password.  You can even set a master password so only you have access to this feature. With Internet Explorer, it's up to you to remember your passwords and I have far too many to keep straight!

You have more control of tab locations with Firefox.  When focused on the tab of a webpage, you can use CTRL-RIGHT ARROW and CTRL-LEFT ARROW in both browsers to move them forward or backward in the tab listing but in Firefox, you can also use CTRL-HOME to move it to the first tab location and CTRL-END to move it to the last tab location.  This gives you a lot more control over the sorting of tabs.

The bookmark library is nice.  Just press CTRL-SHIFT-B to access the library and organize your bookmarks. You can use the standard cut, copy and paste commands to organize your bookmarks.

Firefox also has a download manager (CTRL-J).  It keeps track of all your downloads.  You can access them at any time.  If you aren't sure where something is stored, you can access the folder from the download manager.  You can delete the documents you no longer want to keep and have access at any time to the downloads you choose to keep.

Those are some things that come to mind in my daily use.  I really like Firefox and prefer it over Internet Explorer.

---
CathyAnne Murtha
Access Technology Institute
www.blindtraining.com