[gui-talk] Seeking Webmail accessibility advice

Joel Deutsch jdeutsch at dslextreme.com
Mon Feb 1 21:18:56 UTC 2010

I now have a laptop to complement my desktop computer, and I'd of course
love to have email on it.

Now, the desktop is linked to my ISP's mail server by a POP 3 arrangement
which I somehow learned how to set up.

I know there's also IMAP, but for this discussion, let's forget about that
as a solution. What I'd really like is if I could simply establish a regular
gmail account for both, so it wouldn't interfere in any way with the email
on my desktop.

But I've poked around the gmail interface, because that's exactly what my
ISP uses for there online mail server. And like many Jaws users, I find it
awfully difficult to navigate and use, whether I put it in HTML mode or the
so-called Regular mode, interface-wise. I have difficulty with either of
them, and a few different problems from one to the other.

But maybe gmail has become a little more screen reader friendly, and I don't
know it? As far as I understand, it's at least better than Yahoo mail to
begin with. Anyone using gmail regularly, and if so in what interface mode,
and can you give me any pointers or even point me to some Jaws directions
online? That, of course, would be great.

Thanks,
Joel