[gui-talk] Advice on accessibility of these hard drive backup products needed, quickly if possible

Doug Lee dgl at dlee.org
Thu Dec 9 14:15:12 UTC 2010

I am working with a client who has experienced enough hard drive
issues on multiple machines to have become quite urgently interested
in a backup solution, and one that backs up the drive image, not just
files and folders.  The following three products have been recommended
by technical people in her company, but I don't know how many of these
are reasonably accessible.  She is a JAWS user.

The thrree products:

1.  Norton Ghost from Symantec (http://www.norton.com/).
2.  True Image from Acronis (though the tech thought it was called ImageWriter) (http://www.acronis.com/).
3.  Casper from Future Systems Solutions (http://www.fssdev.com/products/casper/).

We're looking to meet the following criteria at a minimum:

1.  Backs up whole image, not just files and folders.

2.  Can restore seamlessly to drives of different geometry than the
original.

3.  Can be used with JAWS.  I know the actual backup and restore
processes, once kicked off, may involve rebooting into a DOS-like
environment with no speech, so I'm talking about accessible setup and
accessible ways of detecting and handling errors or other
irregularities.

4.  Can handle whole-disk encryption environments.  This is not urgent
yet but may become so sooner than we'd like.

Advice most welcome.  A purchasing decision will probably be made in
the next 12 hours though.

SSB BART Group           doug.lee at ssbbartgroup.com   http://www.ssbbartgroup.com
"Never does the human soul appear so strong as when it foregoes
revenge, and dares forgive an injury." --E. H. Chapin