[gui-talk] Adjustable blind/VIP support canes

Joel Deutsch jdeutsch at dslextreme.com
Tue Aug 24 03:18:12 UTC 2010

I don't really need my long white cane for scanning the ground or sidewalk,
due to a peculiar form of RP. But because of severe balance problems, I
could probably make good use of what's called a blind support cane, meaning
it's strong for support and white with a red bottom. So others will know I
can't see well (slight understatement) and yet I can actually lean on the
cane when I need to, instead of carrying my folding long white cane in front
of me for courtesy and not being able to actually lean on it.

I've been searching for such canes online, and I see several models are
available from several vendors. Some are folding, like my thin cane, and all
are adjustable in length within a certain range of inches. And there are
apparently a few handle types to choose from, and I can't imagine how they
feel or what they look like. Like the "TO" handle,  the "classic" handle,
and the "modern" handle.

Anyone have any direct experience with this type of cane? If you're
partially sighted in a way they lets you clearly see things like those
handles, please say so. I'm formerly sighted and that would help me greatly.

Thanks,
Joel