[gui-talk] Window-Eyes 7.2 Refresh is now Available

Steve Pattison srp at internode.on.net
Fri Aug 13 17:59:04 UTC 2010

This is taken from the GW Micro blog at www.gwmicro.com/blog.  -Steve.

Window-Eyes 7.2 Refresh
by Aaron

We're trying something a little different. Before I go on, understand that the latest
version of Window-Eyes is still 7.2. Thing is, we have "refreshed" the master copies
(including demo and upgrades) to contain a few fixes that were not included in the
original 7.2 version released back on May 5th.

So what changed? Just a few fixes that we felt were too important to wait until the
next release. At the same time, not enough changed to warrant a new version number.

Whenever Window-Eyes changes version numbers, a complex array of things have to take
place, from database updates to localization; it's far more work than a handful of
bug fixes requires. It was, therefore, easier for us to update a few bits here and
there, continue to call it 7.2 (because it is), and make the new build freely available
for all 7.2 users.

By now you've already asked, "but do I need this refresh?" To answer that, let me
list the few things that changed:

There were cases where Window-Eyes would not come up automatically under Vista and
above even though the startup options were set correctly. We knew this was happening
to a handful of people, but were never able to duplicate it, so it remained unsolved.
Recently, someone sent us a machine that demonstrated the problem, and we had it
fixed within a day.

Mozilla changed the way Thunderbird 3.1 indicated links between editing a message
and reviewing a message, and that change caused Window-Eyes to get very confused
and would, as a side effect, pop out of Browse Mode when a link got focused. All
is better now.

We fixed a handful of lockups, some related to Office, some related to Braille scripting
(thanks to Handy Tech for pointing them out), and one related to an application called
Attendant (thanks to Handy Tech for that one too). That last one was actually the
Attendant's fault, but we worked around it.

If you're experiencing issues that you feel this refresh might resolve, then maybe
it's for you. If you're not having problems, you don't need to bother.
Access to the refreshed 7.2 is easy: just re-download your 7.2 upgrade (
www.gwmicro.com/upgrade
), re-install it on top of the 7.2 you have, reboot, and you'll be using the updated
7.2. If you want to know whether or not you have the updated version, just open up
the readme file (Help -> Readme). The readme has the release date shown as "Released:
5/5/2010" with an additional line of "Supplemental: 8/11/2010."

If you have questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us at
support at gwmicro.com
.
Edit: I forgot to mention that this version also solves a problem where Payment Plan
users were getting timed out after a matter of days (sometimes after a single reboot).
Now they're back to getting a full 30 days per activation.

Regards Steve
Email:  srp at internode.on.net
MSN Messenger:  internetuser383 at hotmail.com
Skype:  steve1963