[gui-talk] Fwd: Accessible App - Meet Me for Iphone.

Steve Pattison srp at internode.on.net
Thu Aug 5 22:39:32 UTC 2010

From: Cara Quinn caraquinn at caraquinn.com

  Hi All;

I wanted to post about a very cool and accessible app called Meet Me. With
it you can enter two locations and find places to meet in between.

The app is 0.99 USD and I'll describe it in a bit more detail after the
linkie!

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/meetme/id322956966?mt=8

To begin, I'm using this app with iOS 4 on an iPhone 4.

When you start the app, you'll be on the screen to set both locations. By
default 'Point A' will be selected, and you are presented with three ways to
set this location.

If you begin flicking right from the top left of the screen, you'll come to
an unlabeled button followed by the words, 'Current Location.' This button
sets your current location as point A.

continuing to flick right, you'll come to another unlabeled button followed
by the words, 'My Contacts.' this button opens your contacts in order for
you to choose one for their address.

Lastly, further flicking right will take you to a third unlabeled button
followed by the words, 'Enter Location.' As its name implies, this button
will allow you to enter a location manually. NOTE: While accessible, this
dialogue is not super friendly in my opinion, as one needs to tap the
'return' key on the keyboard to enter the selection you just typed. Also,
depending on the completeness of the address you enter, the app will
automatically search for items matching what you've typed and then
arbitrarily pick one that it thinks you want. So if you're not completely
aware of the address you'd like to enter, I'd suggest that you might
consider using Around Me (or some such app) first and then saving a POI as a
contact and then using the 'My Contacts' option instead.

Once you set Point A, you can run your finger across the bottom of the
screen to find buttons for Point A and Point B among others. Double tapping
Point B will then take you to a similar screen where you can make this
setting.

Once you've set both points, you can double tap the 'Places to Meet' button
on the bottom of the screen, (next to the 'Point B' button) and a list of
categories from which you can choose, will be shown. Choosing from this list
will bring up another more detailed list of categories for the types of
business in the main category. I.E. If you choose Restaurants, you can then
choose from a really wide variety of cuisine types.

Once you choose a more refined category, a list of actual businesses will be
shown, and you can then double tap a listing to see all of its apropos info,
including phone number and reviews etc. as well as to establish this as your
meeting place.

NOTE: as of this writing, VO reads the listings in reverse order, with the
address being displayed first and the business name being displayed last.

The app allows you to, among other things, send an email to your friends
with a link to the destination you've decided upon with directions and info.

I haven't delved into this app further than this at this point, so can't
comment on any other features or access, but so far this is proving to be a
really cool and usable app to have.

In the listings of businesses you see, you're also given the distance from
both point A and point b, so you can get an idea of whom your destination is
closer to. Additionally, you can also set the radius of where you'd like to
search for places to meet as well as which point you'd like to have them be
closer to. I.E. if you'd like your listings to be closer to point B than
point A, you can adjust your search results so your friends at point B won't
need to travel as far.

So, in summary, while access for some controls here is spotty in my opinion,
(unlabeled buttons and such) this app is still very usable in my opinion,
and is really, really very cool!…

Hope you like!

Do have a wonderful evening / weekend!…

Smiles,