[gui-talk] IE 8: I installed, but have questions now

Joel Deutsch jdeutsch at dslextreme.com
Sat Sep 26 21:59:01 UTC 2009

Immediately after the install was done and my computer rebooted, I launched
Internet Explorer and I'm perplexed by a bunch of dings and dongs and
messages I guess I'm supposed to respond to.

Basically, these messages keep coming up saying that this or that is
incompatible with IE 8 and do I want to allow it to run anyway, or have IE
look for updates, or whatever. I suppose these things that come up are
add-ones, but I don't recognize any of them by name. I mean, I've never
intentionally enabled or even familiarized myself with whatever it's talking
about.

and a  a message keeps coming up asking if I want to learn how to fix an
incompatibility problem having to do with something called DRI, or drive
access something or other, and I have no idea what it's talking about. It
keeps taking me to a Microsoft Web page that's apparently full of
information I'm supposed to understand in order to then do something or
other. If I close this page in confusion, some other message comes up
telling me something else is wrong. The messages that say I need to adjust
my add-ons seem to be temporary, fleeting messages you'd have to see and
click on with a mouse within seconds, but I think I heard I should open
Tools and find the tab where I can do something with add-ons. I go there
only to find it says all add-ons are disabled. I guess this is good, if it
was the default setting?

Does anyone have any idea what it is I'm experiencing? I thought IE8 would
just install itself seamlessly over IE7 and any new features would be stuff
I'd learn by looking at Anna Dresner's instructions. But it's more than
that. It's all these incompatibility announcements. I have no idea what's
going on.

Advice? Help? I don't want to freak out and call my friend who's an IT
professional to ruin his Saturday with his wife and come over to play with
the browser and get it set up right. I'd be happy to fix up this stuff
myself, but I have no idea what it's talking about.

Help!
P.S. At the end of the download and install procedure, the dialogue stayed
on the screen for a long time (I'm partial and could see this happening) and
seemed hung up about trying to search for and download IE updates, and
finally after many minutes doing nothing it allowed me to finish and reboot,
advising me to launch the browser immediately and check for updates in the
Tools menu. But when I did, all I got was the good old MS updates page, not
something specific to the browser, and by this time I was just too baffled
to figure out if there was some update for IE waiting to be downloaded and
installed. So I just got out of there. I don't know if this has anything at
all to do with the trouble I describe above. I'm just sayhing, the download
and install dialogue made this announcement that it could not install
updates and I should take care of that myself, but I don't think there are
any updates to be had, anyway.

Ack. Going nuts, here.