[gui-talk] Fwd: Create a stream inside your home

Steve Pattison srp at internode.on.net
Fri Sep 18 02:18:28 UTC 2009

This isn't mentioned in the message but this product can be downloaded
from www.rogueamoeba.com.  -Steve.

 From:    Dane trethowan dane.trethowan at me.com
 To:      VIP L vip-l at softspeak.com.au

Howdy!

I purchased a handy piece of software called Airfoil  yesterday and
thought I'd give it a mini review as people may find it handy, the
purpose of Airfoil is to enable the easy streaming of audio - and
optionally video - from a computer to another device.  This may
normally be another computer - say a Netbook, - you can let your
imagination run free however as other devices are available for the
Airfoil to stream audio to and I'll cover one of those in a few moments.

Airfoil is available for both Mac and Windows and - if you plan to use
it on both Windows and Mac machines - then the "bundle" pack at $48.00
is certainly worth the buy for both flavours of the software and a
single user licence for each and that's what I've done.

So how to set Airfoil up? Its pretty much the same for both versions
of the software, run Airfoil, select a source of audio for
transmission, select your target and hit the transmit button, audio
will start streaming from your source and about 2 seconds later you'll
hear the audio through your target device or computer. The source can
be a sound device or you can "Hijack" an application such as Winamp,
Itunes, VLC, Windows Media Player and so on.

The target can be another computer running the company on "Airfoil
Speakers" software or a completely independent device which hangs off
your wired or Wireless network and such a device is an Apple Airport
Express, you may find it advantageous to use An Airport Express  or
similar device if you're planning to stream to a Hi-Fi set up or
speaker system somewhere in the house, its cheaper than purchasing
another computer or using another computer because you're using far
less power <smile>.

The Mac version of Airfoil was perfectly accessible however the
Windows version required me to do some tweaking with Window-Eyes, some
re-classing of custom controls and some further labelling of controls,
after I'd done that everything was perfectly accessible and easy to use.

This is just a brief explanation of the Airfoil software and the Apple
Airport Express so I'll be happy to answer further questions if need
be, I haven't purchased the Apple Airport Express as yet but I do plan
to and I'll write a mini review of that when I get it.

Dane Trethowan