[gui-talk] Should I move to 64 bit with a new PC or laptop soon?

albert griffith albertgriffith at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 8 22:57:19 UTC 2009

Your friend is quite correct.

-----Original Message-----
From: gui-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:gui-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of Joel Deutsch
Sent: Sunday, September 06, 2009 4:26 PM
To: NFBnet GUI Talk Mailing List
Subject: Re: [gui-talk] Should I move to 64 bit with a new PC or laptop
soon?

Mike,

You mean it's possible that, even though say, jaws and Word may work fine if

they're the 64 bit version, I might find that Open Book won't work anymore
until someone creates new scanner drivers for my scanner and FS offers a 64
bit version of Open Book for those who already have the 32 bit version?

And mainly, you mean that the move to 64 bit won't necessarily make
everything move like lightning anyway because I won't very likely be using
more than 3.5 mgs of RAM most of the time, no matter whether I buy the
machine with 2 megs or 4 megs of RAM? If anything gets faster, it'll likely
be because the chip at the core of the OS is new and improved, and that's
about it?

Sound reasonable? am I getting the idea? My close friend who's an I T
professional seems to think 64 bits isn't a very useful sort of upgrade for
me, too.
how .