[gui-talk] Windows 7: Whihch version for my new laptop??

Joel Deutsch jdeutsch at dslextreme.com
Thu Oct 29 04:09:56 UTC 2009

Wayne,

thanks. I'm definitely going to get Home Premium. I haven't yet installed
Jaws 11, though I will be doing so eventually, certainly when I get the new
laptop, which I intend to add to my desktop rather than use as a total
replacement. Not quite sure about that, yet, so we'll see.

and I was assuming, from everything I've heard about the interface of Vista
and now am reading in conventional tech articles in Slate and the New York
Times, that Windows 7 will need some learning with Jaws. FS brags in their
podcasts about having developed Jaws 11 with Windows 7 firmly in mind, so
I'll be pretty surprised if Jaws 11 Help and instructional materials don't
educate me about how to operate my computer with Windows 7. I'll be shocked
if they don't help, in fact. As for your mention of Office 2007, I confess
the only app in that suite I've ever used is Word, and I'm still using Word
2000 on my XP desktop, for certain reasons. I think I'll simply get Office
2007 on my new machine and grit my teeth and learn how to use it, how to
either use that hated ribbon or get around it with keyboard shortcuts, and
eventually get up to speed. I confess I'm exhausted just thinking about all
this, but I guess I can do it.

Joel