[gui-talk] Windows 7: Whihch version for my new laptop??

Joel Deutsch jdeutsch at dslextreme.com
Wed Oct 28 21:40:52 UTC 2009

Hi Listers,
I may be buying myself a laptop sooner than I anticipated. I'm pretty
certain whichever one I choose at a big box store accompanied by my sighted
I T professional friend, it'll have Windows 7 preinstalled as its operating
system.

Now, I'm running XP Home on my desktop, so this won't be like graduating
from Vista to the new O.S. So I can't compare in that way.

But I know that there's a Home Basic and a Home Premium. I seem to hear
you're supposed to get Home Premium, and I assume that'll support Jaws
standard, either the version 10 I'm still running or Version 11 that I'll
soon install. I don't want to have to move up to Jaws Professional.

My basic uses will be Word, email using the simplest free MS app that's
today's version of Outlook Express, surfing the Web, and playing digital
audio files, either music or voice.

Is home basic *too* basic? Is there something hobbling about it? In what
way? I'm assuming it's cheaper. How about Home Premium? Is that the right
one? Is that what people here have been getting, so far? If so, is Jaws
Standard okay with it or must you upgrade to Jaws Pro, which I don't wanna
do?

thanks, people.

Joel