[gui-talk] Taking hard returns out of document

Lloyd Rasmussen lras at loc.gov
Wed Oct 28 20:14:31 UTC 2009

While in Acrobat Reader with the document in your virtual buffer, ctrl-a to
select all, ctrl-c to copy to clipboard, start Notepad or a word processor
and ctrl-v to paste into that program.  You may get alternating long and
short lines or something else, but it will probably be an improvement.  I
use Window-Eyes to do these things, but am pretty sure that they would work
in a similar way with JAWS.

This method is similar to the way in which people paste the content of a
web page into their e-mails if they are using a screen reader.

At 02:56 PM 10/28/2009, you wrote:
>Well, I tried switching the order and it reads fine in PDF, but still
>saves one word at a time when converted to a text document. Any other
>suggestions? At least I am able to read the PDF better now. Thank you.
>----- Original Message ----- From: "Lloyd Rasmussen" <lras at loc.gov>
>Sent: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 12:12 PM
>Subject: Re: [gui-talk] Taking hard returns out of document
>

>>If you are editing in MS Word, you could search for ^p and replace with a
>>space.  Unfortunately, Word is going to wrap the resulting line in
>>arbitrary places.
>>
>>Before you do this, select the left-to-right, top-to-bottom reading order
>>and see what you get, both in the JAWS buffer and if you have Adobe
>>Reader save to a text file.  Sometimes this second reading order works
>>much better than the first does.
>>

>>At 11:21 AM 10/28/2009, you wrote:
>>>I just received a large PDF document, which for my purposes was more
>>>easily saved as a text file. However, each word seems to be on a
>>>separate line. It appears that way in the PDF version as well. What is
>>>the symbol or character for the hard return and how do I go about
>>>removing them? Thanks.
>>>
>>>Sherri Brun
>>>flmom2006 at gmail.com
>>>There is a Braille literacy crisis in America.
>>>You can be part of the solution.

Lloyd Rasmussen, Senior Project Engineer, Engineering Section
National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress    (202) 707-0535   <http://www.loc.gov/nls>
HOME:  <http://lras.home.sprynet.com>
The opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent
those of NLS.