[gui-talk] Taking hard returns out of document

Lloyd Rasmussen lras at loc.gov
Wed Oct 28 20:05:35 UTC 2009

When the document first opens, if your preferences have not already been
set, there is a dialog box where you can select from among 3 or 4 reading
options in a combobox, as well as whether to show the document as a whole
or divided into pages.  If the document is already loaded into the JAWS
buffer, you can get to this dialog with shift-ctrl-5 (on the number
row).  The left-to-right, top-to-bottom option is the second one from the
top.  If the document has been tagged for accessibility purposes, this will
be the fourth option.  The title of the dialog is "reading untagged
document" and the name of the combobox is "reading order."

At 02:57 PM 10/28/2009, you wrote:
>Excuse all the questions, but how do I select left to right top to bottom
>reading order in the Jaws buffer? I am running Jaws 10. Thank you.
>----- Original Message ----- From: "Lloyd Rasmussen" <lras at loc.gov>
>Sent: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 12:12 PM
>Subject: Re: [gui-talk] Taking hard returns out of document
>

>>If you are editing in MS Word, you could search for ^p and replace with a
>>space.  Unfortunately, Word is going to wrap the resulting line in
>>arbitrary places.
>>
>>Before you do this, select the left-to-right, top-to-bottom reading order
>>and see what you get, both in the JAWS buffer and if you have Adobe
>>Reader save to a text file.  Sometimes this second reading order works
>>much better than the first does.
>>

>>At 11:21 AM 10/28/2009, you wrote:
>>>I just received a large PDF document, which for my purposes was more
>>>easily saved as a text file. However, each word seems to be on a
>>>separate line. It appears that way in the PDF version as well. What is
>>>the symbol or character for the hard return and how do I go about
>>>removing them? Thanks.
>>>
>>>Sherri Brun
>>>flmom2006 at gmail.com
>>>There is a Braille literacy crisis in America.
>>>You can be part of the solution.
>>>
>>>https://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&identifier=4000

Lloyd Rasmussen, Senior Project Engineer, Engineering Section
National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress    (202) 707-0535   <http://www.loc.gov/nls>
HOME:  <http://lras.home.sprynet.com>
The opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent
those of NLS.