[gui-talk] Taking hard returns out of document

Lloyd Rasmussen lras at loc.gov
Wed Oct 28 16:12:32 UTC 2009

If you are editing in MS Word, you could search for ^p and replace with a
space.  Unfortunately, Word is going to wrap the resulting line in
arbitrary places.

Before you do this, select the left-to-right, top-to-bottom reading order
and see what you get, both in the JAWS buffer and if you have Adobe Reader
save to a text file.  Sometimes this second reading order works much better
than the first does.

At 11:21 AM 10/28/2009, you wrote:
>I just received a large PDF document, which for my purposes was more
>easily saved as a text file. However, each word seems to be on a separate
>line. It appears that way in the PDF version as well. What is the symbol
>or character for the hard return and how do I go about removing them? Thanks.
>
>Sherri Brun
>flmom2006 at gmail.com
>There is a Braille literacy crisis in America.
>You can be part of the solution.
>
>https://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&identifier=4000

Lloyd Rasmussen, Senior Project Engineer, Engineering Section
National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress    (202) 707-0535   <http://www.loc.gov/nls>
HOME:  <http://lras.home.sprynet.com>
The opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent
those of NLS.